Basic FSSAI Registration?
Students at schools and colleges rely on canteens for their sustenance. In India, the term “food business” includes cafeterias at schools and colleges. The Food Safety and Standards (FSS) Act, 2006 (the “Act”) makes obtaining an FSSAI Registration or License necessary for all school and college canteens. The FSSAI License guarantees the food’s quality and safety for kids eating in school and college canteens.
The independent organisation that grants a registration or licence for various types and categories of food products in India is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). Food vendors must therefore obtain the FSSAI Registration or License in order to run a school cafeteria, tiffin service, or food stall close to a college or school.
FSSAI Registration for Schools ?
To prepare and run canteens on school grounds, schools and colleges award contracts to specific people or hire food contractors. These canteens are run by outsiders and serve breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Additionally, schools and universities have hostel mess operations where students can order and consume all three meals each day.
Food in the hostel mess and canteen must be healthy and of a good standard because students eat there. Any negligence in the cafeterias at the schools would put the pupils’ health at risk. As a result, the school should adhere to the FSS Act and Regulations’ requirements for food safety and get FSSAI Registration for its canteens and mess.
What is the FSSAI Regulation for Schools?
- Schools that provide or sell meals on their own on the school grounds should get an FSSAI Registration or License as a food business operator from the relevant body specified in the Act and make sure the food is healthy and safe.
- A school should make sure that any food business operators (FBOs) it works with have an FSSAI Registration or License before engaging in a transaction or contract for catering or selling school meals on the school site.
- The Department of School Education should make sure that all FBOs hired to run the mid-day meal programme are registered with or licenced with the FSSAI.
- The Food Safety Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011, which are applicable to food manufacturers, should be followed by FBOs that cater or sell food on a school campus.
- No one should be allowed to sell or offer for sale food items that are high in trans fat, saturated fat, sodium, or added sugar on school property or within 50 metres of the property. This includes free sales.
- According to the recommendations outlined in this Regulation, schools shall promote and encourage consumption of a healthy, balanced diet in the school mess, canteen, or kitchen.
Benefits of FSSAI Registration for Schools
Depending on the size of operation of their food company, the type of fssai license registration for schools that a school selling food or FBOs providing food to school pupils must obtain varies. However, the FSSAI specifies two different registration types for FBOs offering canteen services in schools, as follows:
- FSSAI Basic Registration – When an FBO operating in a school or school selling food has an annual turnover of less than Rs. 12 lakh, they are required to receive the FSSAI Basic Registration.
- FSSAI State License – When an FBO operating in a school or school selling food has an annual revenue of more than Rs. 12 lakh, they are required to obtain the FSSAI State License.
What are the Procedure of FSSAI Registration for Schools?
The following steps must be followed in order for a school that sells food or a FBO that operates a canteen or mess on the school campus to apply for FSSAI Registration or License:
- Visit the FoSCoS webpage.
- On the homepage, select ‘Apply/License Registration’.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the state where the school is located.
- Choose the “Food Services” option, then pick “Club/Canteen” from the selection that appears below.
- Click the “Proceed” button after choosing the turnaround.
- Select “Click here to apply for State License for all Businesses” or “Click here to apply for Registration for all Businesses.”
- Click the “Save & Next” button after filling out Form-A or Form-B with the necessary information.
- After paying the FSSAI registration fees and uploading your documents, submit the form.
- The form will be verified by the FSSAI officials. They can also inspect the area of the school where the food is served if necessary.
- When the FSSAI officials are confident that the FBOs meet the necessary requirements, they will issue the FSSAI Registration/License Certificate. By entering into the FoSCoS portal, the schools or FBOs can download the FSSAI Registration/License Certificate.
FSSAI registration verification- Schools or FBOs selling food on school property may also submit an offline application for an FSSAI Registration/License. They must get the repetitive registration form, referred to as Form-A or Form-B, by going to the office of the food safety commissioner or the food safety officer in charge. They must complete the form and deliver it together with the necessary paperwork to the food safety department. The application will be verified by the FSSAI authorities, who will then issue the FSSAI Registration/License.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration for Schools?
The following documents must be presented in order to receive the FSSAI Basic Registration:
- Proof of the company name and address.
- Aadhaar or FBO identity documentation.
- Information about the business, such as information about the school food business.
The following documents must be provided in order to receive an FSSAI State License:
- Schools fssai license- Any government registration certificates, such as company incorporation certificates, firm registration numbers, GST registration numbers, trade licences, panchayath licences, corporation licences, municipality licences, etc. Identification proof for the FBO (Aadhaar card, voter ID, or driver’s licence).
- If the applicant is a private limited company or partnership business, they must submit a copy of the partnership deed or the Memorandum and Articles of Association, as appropriate.
- business kind, i.e., the school food industry.
- Form of declaration.
How Muds Management helps you in FSSAI Registration?
MUDS offers a full range of services for FSSAI registration and food licensing. Our promise to each FBO
- The quickest FSSAI registration time possible
- general guidance for completing the FSSAI online application
- Advice on selecting the appropriate food license category
- Providing support throughout the whole registration process
- FSSAI registration consultant– The response to all of your inquiries and worries regarding FSSAI registration
The granted food licence has a one-year expiration date and may be extended by the food regulating agency for a maximum of five years. the moment the license’s validity expires and the owner of the food company is required to renew their fssai food license for school. To prevent fines, the FSSAI renewal procedure should be taken into consideration as soon as feasible. According to FSSAI’s published requirements, the food safety registration must be renewed within 30 days of the licence expiring and before.