Freezing of Folios of physical shareholders... Last date for KYC is 30th September 2023... Act now Ref: SEBI Circular SEBI/HO/MIRSD/MIRSD-PoD-1/P/CIR/2023/37


IEPF Claim: Ensuring You Get What You Deserve from Unclaimed Shares

IEPF Claim: Ensuring You Get What You Deserve from Unclaimed Shares

Many investors hold physical share certificates purchased several decades back but never converted them into demat form. Over time, these paper certificates get misplaced or forgotten. However, they represent investments made years ago and recovering them can unearth hidden treasures in the form of appreciating share value and dividends.

First step is to search for the original share certificates purchased 30 years or more ago. Check financial documents, old files, bank locker papers etc. Contact family members in case they possess the certificates. Obtaining a duplicate certificate involves time and costs.

Verify Company Status

Once you retrieve the certificates, verify if the company is still listed and operational. If yes, you can convert the shares into demat form. If delisted, check if the company merged, closed down, or was acquired. This will determine next steps.

For listed companies, submit the share certificates to the registrar and transfer agent (RTA) or broker along with a demat request form and KYC documents. Equivalent demat shares will be allotted after verification. Update your contact details if changed.

If the company is defunct or holdings transferred to IEPF, you will need to file a claim by submitting specified documents and following up with authorities. Provide indemnity if original share certificates are lost.

Keep track of the demat or claim request status. Follow-up periodically and obtain clarifications on any queries. Ensure to rectify errors or discrepancies if the request is rejected initially. Persistence is key. The process may seem cumbersome but recovering old physical share certificates can help unlock substantial hidden value. It takes some effort but converts paper investments into liquid holdings.

Investing in stocks provides the opportunity to grow wealth and secure your financial future. However, owing to oversight or lack of awareness, investors sometimes fail to claim dividends or even the shares themselves over time. But don’t lose heart! These unclaimed assets lying dormant can be recovered through the Investor Education and Protection Fund (IEPF), an entity established by the government of India specifically for this purpose. 

In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of unclaimed shares and dividends and provide you a step-by-step walkthrough of the recovery process. Join us as we uncover the nuances of identifying, claiming and retrieving your rightful investments to unlock their true potential.


The Discovery of Unclaimed Shares and Dividends

Sarah, a prudent investor, had built up a profitable portfolio over the years. However, owing to frequently changing jobs and locations, she lost track of some of her investments. Many years later, while going through some old paperwork, she stumbled upon share certificates purchased in the 1990s and forgotten dividends statements – the discoveries igniting a glimmer of hope. 

Like Sarah, you too may uncover share certificates tucked away in old files or come across a company’s public notice regarding unclaimed dividends in your name. These discoveries often spring up pleasant surprises and a realization that some of your hard-earned money is lying untapped. 

However, the next thought typically is – can I still recover these assets? The good news is the answer is yes! Owing to regulatory provisions, you can claim unclaimed shares and dividends to unlock their true value. But act quickly, as lengthy delays can complicate recovery. Read on to know how.

Reasons Why Dividends and Shares Remain Unclaimed

  • Shareholder changing residence and contact details without informing the company or registrar & transfer agent (RTA), resulting in non-receipt of dividends and other relevant company communication.
  • Errors in filling bank account details or names resulting in electronic dividends being rejected.
  • Shares and dividends of deceased shareholders remaining unclaimed by legal heirs due to lack of awareness.
  • Shareholders remaining unaware of dividend announcements and modalities for claiming the same. 
  • Shareholders holding securities in physical form but certificates getting misplaced over time.
  • General lack of awareness among shareholders regarding corporate actions and entitlements.
  • Oversight and ignorance among small shareholders regarding claim processes.

Proactive measures like updating contact information, participating in company communications, regularly checking holdings etc. can prevent such occurrences of unclaimed benefits.

Introducing IEPF – Your Safety Net 

The Investor Education and Protection Fund (IEPF) is an entity established by the central government under the provisions of the Companies Act. It acts as custodian of unclaimed shares, dividends, matured deposits etc. transferred to it after a stipulated time period.

Key Objectives of IEPF:

  • Safeguard investors’ unclaimed or unpaid dividends, matured deposits and debentures etc.
  • Promote awareness and education among investors.
  • Refund unclaimed amounts to investors on claims made and verification. 
  • Make beneficial use of deposited amounts for awareness programs after the required time period.

The IEPF provisions mandate companies to transfer unclaimed dividends, shares and other benefits after a period of 7 years. This provides investors sufficient time to claim their legitimate dues. In case they remain unclaimed, the amounts are deposited into the IEPF through which they can still be recovered via a formal process.

The IEPF represents the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for investors who had given up hope of recovering old investments presumed lost or lapsed. Read on to equip yourself to claim this treasure.

Critical Timelines to Act

7 Years: The Period After Which Unclaimed Amounts are Transferred to IEPF

For dividends, the 7 year period is calculated from the date of declaration, for matured deposits from date of maturity, and for shares from the date of disbursement. 

As per Section 124(6) of the Companies Act, if a shareholder fails to claim dividends for a consecutive period of 7 years or more, the underlying shares can also be transferred to the IEPF.

10 Years: The Period for Claiming Amounts from IEPF

As per IEPF rules, investors can claim back their amounts transferred to the IEPF within 10 years (earlier 7 years) from the date of transfer after which they are permanently deposited to the fund.

The 10 year period offers a sizeable window to claim back unclaimed dividends, shares, sale proceeds, matured deposits among other benefits. Filing early improves chances of successful recovery.

Passing these deadlines can complicate recoveries with very limited recourse left for investors. Acting promptly within the claim period is thus crucial.


Locating Your Unclaimed Dividends and Shares

  • Check company annual reports for names of investors with unclaimed dividends. Many companies provide detailed disclosures.
  • Refer to company websites and stock exchange filings for details of unclaimed dividends and eligible shareholders.
  • IEPF’s website has a portal to search for unclaimed amounts in your name across companies.
  • Informally contact the company or registrars to enquire about unclaimed amounts if tracing through formal routes yields no results. 
  • Go through old records and statements to identify dividends or shares that may have been overlooked.
  • Obtain investor services like tracing of investments offered by specialized agencies like Muds Management. 
  • Engage a professional stockbroker to check untraceable shares through running a demat statement check.

Meticulous tracing is important for establishing credible claims and ensuring proper documentation during recovery.

Nuts and Bolts of the Claims Process

Step 1: Verify Transfer of Unclaimed Amount to IEPF

Crosscheck with the company website, annual report and IEPF records to ascertain if the unclaimed dividends/shares are transferred to IEPF. The amounts must reflect as transferred to IEPF for initiating the claims process.

Step 2: Download E-form IEPF-5

Download the IEPF-5 form from the IEPF website. Read through the instructions carefully before filling. The form is used for filing both dividend and shares refund claims.

Step 3: Fill The Form IEPF-5 

Complete form IEPF-5 with your personal details, company name, claimed amount, bank details, demat account details etc. as applicable. Provide additional documents where asked.

Step 4: Attach Documents as Annexures

Attach necessary supporting documents to the form as specified such as identity proof, residence proof, share certificates etc. Get required documents notarized or self-attested.

Step 5: Submit Form to Nodal Officer

Submit duly filled IEPF-5 form along with attached documents to the Nodal Officer of the company from which you are claiming the amounts. Keep proof of submission.

Step 6: Claim Scrutinized by Nodal Officer 

The Nodal officer examines and verifies the claim closely through the documents and recommends approval after scrutiny. Deficiencies if any are communicated. 

Step 7: Final Approval by IEPF

The scrutinized claim is forwarded by the Nodal Officer to the IEPF authority for final approval as per IEPF rules and procedures. 

Step 8: Credit to Claimant’s Account

Once approved, the unclaimed amounts are credited directly to the claimant’s bank account provided. For shares, they are transferred to the demat account mentioned.

Step 9: Track Claim Status

Online status tracking, email reminders and follow-up with Nodal Officer helps you keep tab on your claim status for smooth processing especially if timelines are breached.

So in summary, ascertain eligibility, correctly file the form, submit documents, follow-up regularly and act before deadlines for successful claims settlement.

Documents Needed to File Claims

  • Scanned signed copy of Form IEPF-5 
  • Identity proof like PAN, Aadhaar etc.
  • Residence proof like electricity bill, Aadhaar etc. 
  • Copy of share certificate, dividend warrant etc.
  • Canceled cheque leaf showing claimant’s bank details
  • Copy of demat account statement for electronic credit of shares.
  • Indemnity bond on non-judicial stamp paper for lost share certificates.
  • Notarized affidavit declaring the facts of the claim. 
  • Nomination or legal heir certificate if applicable.
  • Bank account proof like statement wherein electronic dividend received earlier.

Have all documents ready in specified formats to ensure seamless claim settlement. Keep originals safely for future requirements if any.

Engaging Specialists for Unclaimed Assets Recovery

Considering the legalities and documentation involved in the claims process, investors may choose to engage professional agencies that specialize in helping recover unclaimed assets from IEPF. These agencies can provide end-to-end assistance with services like:

  • Tracing unclaimed shares, dividends, deposits etc. by sifting through databases.
  • Assisting in documentation and submission of forms. 
  • Liaising with company nodal officers and IEPF for claim status updates. 
  • Obtaining required affidavits and indemnity bonds.
  • Providing legal assistance including representation. 
  • Follow-ups and clarifications until final settlement of claims.

Their assistance helps overcome procedural complexities for smooth settlement. Do evaluate their success rate, service breadth and fee model while engaging agencies.

Common Reasons for Claim Rejections

  • Insufficient or inaccurate documentation attached with the claim form.
  • Claimant details on form mismatching with attached documents.
  • Incorrect company name or unclaimed amount details filled in form.
  • Missing nominee details or submission of legal heir certificate when required.  
  • Submission made to incorrect Nodal Officer of branch/group company instead of main company.
  • Non-submission of original share certificates or indemnity bond for lost/misplaced certificates.
  • Failure to get documents attested or notarized as specified in guidelines.

Ensure meticulous compliance and accuracy at every step by cross-verifying details, getting documents duly attested and making submissions well before deadlines to avoid rejections.


Timelines for Claim Processing 

  • Claims scrutinized by the Nodal Officer within 60 days.
  • Final approval or rejection by IEPF within 60 days of receipt from the Nodal Officer.
  • Overall process may take upto 4-6 months from claim submission based on accuracy of documents and information.
  • Intimation of rejection or request for further documents must be acted on promptly by claimants. 
  • Follow-ups are crucial if timelines are breached at any stage between company, Nodal Officer and IEPF.

While statutory timelines exist, it practically takes 4-6 months for claims to get processed end-to-end. Proactively following up can fast track the settlement.

Transfer of Unclaimed Amounts to IEPF

  • Dividends: Transferred if unclaimed for >7 consecutive years from date of transfer to unpaid account. Annual statements with transfer details to be filed with IEPF.
  • Matured Deposits/Debentures: Transferred if unclaimed for >7 years from date of maturity. 
  • Shares: Can be transferred if dividends remain unpaid/unclaimed on them consecutively for >7 years.
  • Sale Proceeds: Values remaining unclaimed on sale of fractional shares can also be transferred after 7 years.
  • Interest: Unclaimed interest on application or call money transferred after 7 years.

Companies transfer the aforementioned amounts to IEPF periodically after complying with mandatory public notices and newspaper advertisements.

Common Reasons for Non-Settlement of Claims

While IEPF provisions allow investors to recover their rightful dues, claims may get rejected or stuck in case of:

  • Furnishing false or inaccurate information in claim forms and documents.
  • Non-submission of complete documents like share certificates, nomination details etc.
  • Failure to get documents duly attested or notarized before submission. 
  • Breach of statutory timelines for claiming amounts from IEPF.
  • Inability to prove legal ownership of claimed benefits satisfactorily during verification. 
  • Submission of claims to the incorrect company or nodal officer leading to delays.
  • Non-response to additional document or clarification requests from nodal officers or IEPF during processing.

Avoiding these pitfalls results in smooth settlement of claims from IEPF. Stay vigilant and act promptly!

Intimation Upon Settlement of Claims

  • Claimants are intimidated by post when share certificates are issued by companies upon settlement.
  • Intimation is also sent for electronic transfer of approved claim amounts by IEPF to bank account.
  • Email/SMS notifications increasingly being leveraged by IEPF and companies for claim status updates.
  • Claimants must proactively track status online and follow-up if intimation is not received within reasonable time post approval.
  • Updating contact details including email and mobile numbers is crucial for timely intimations by companies and IEPF.

Receive timely intimations by ensuring your contact information is updated and leveraging digital channels like email and SMS for tracking claim status.


Recovering investments presumed lost or unclaimed requires meticulous effort. IEPF provisions empower investors to claim rightful dividends, shares and other benefits transferred over the years through a transparent and tightly governed process. However, statutory timelines, accurate documentation and responsible follow-ups are vital for successful settlement and closure of claims. Investors wanting to unlock value from old investments should act decisively on tracing them, obtain necessary paperwork, comply with regulations and submit forms correctly within deadlines. The IEPF while safeguarding your hard-earned money also provides the key to recover forgotten wealth and assets from the past – provided due diligence is exercised within the stipulated time frame. Partnering with investor service providers well-versed in IEPF processes can smoothen your claim settlement journey. Regardless, be proactive and persistent to find and retrieve your hidden treasures through IEPF!



1. I have some physical share certificates that are over 10 years old. Can you help trace the company status and help me convert them to demat form?

Yes, we can certainly help you with old physical share certificates. Here is how we would assist:

  1. First, we will examine the share certificates in detail and verify the company name, Folio number, certificate numbers etc.
  2. Next, we will conduct thorough research and tracing to establish the current status of the company – whether still listed, merged, delisted, closed etc.
  3. If the company is still operational and listed, we will guide you through the process of getting the physical shares converted into demat form.
  4. This involves submission of the share certificates to the company’s Registrar and Transfer Agent (RTA) along with a Demat Request Form (DRF).
  5. The RTA will verify the certificates and confirm the holding. The equivalent demat shares will then get credited to your Demat account.
  6. We will assist you in documentation, follow ups with the RTA and company, and completing requisite formalities for seamless demat.
  7. If the company has closed operations, we can advise on alternative remedies and options to recover value.
  8. Our expertise in managing old, untraceable certificates comes handy in such cases. Rest assured we will handle the process efficiently.

In summary, yes we can certainly help you convert those old physical share certificates into demat form or assist you in appropriate solutions depending on company status. Let us know if we can be of any help!

2. I recently found some share certificates purchased by my grandfather. He is no more and we are the legal heirs. How can we claim these shares?

Here is the process the legal heirs would need to follow to claim the shares belonging to your late grandfather:

  1. Collect the original share certificates that belong to your grandfather. Also gather other documents like copy of death certificate, PAN card etc.
  2. Apply for a legal heir certificate from the court. This establishes you and other applicants as legal heirs of the deceased shareholder.
  3. If the shares are held jointly, the surviving holders need to submit a request for transmission of shares along with the death certificate.
  4. For sole holder cases, the legal heirs need to submit a transmission request with the legal heir certificate and succession certificate or probate of will if available.
  5. The company will update its records and transmit the shares in the name of the legal heirs after verification of documents and details.
  6. The share certificates will be canceled and new share certificates issued in the joint names of the legal heirs.
  7. Open a demat account in joint names. Submit request to convert the physical shares into demat form. 
  8. The company will issue a LETTER OF CONFIRMATION for demat after cancellation of old certificates. 
  9. The demat shares will then reflect in your account. Notify the company to register nomination on the shares.

Rest assured we will assist you through this entire process – from procuring legal heir certificate to transmission of shares and finally DEMAT into your account. Let us know if you need any help!

3. I received a dividend notice from a company with whom I held shares long back. I seem to have misplaced the certificates. How can you assist in getting my shares transferred?

Losing old stock certificates can be incredibly frustrating, but don’t worry – there are still options for getting your shares reissued. The first step is to gather all the relevant information you have about the shares – the company name, date of purchase, number of shares, certificate numbers if you have them, and the brokerage used if applicable.

With this information, we can try contacting the company’s investor relations department or transfer agent to see if they have any records of your ownership. They may be able to reissue the shares with proper verification. If not, contacting your former brokerage could provide additional records to demonstrate ownership.

If neither of those routes works, a stock transfer agent service could be hired to manage the paperwork and process of requesting replacement certificates. There may be a fee involved, but these services are well-versed in situations like these.

As a last option, legal action may be required if the company refuses to reissue shares without a court order. I’d be happy to help locate and organize the information needed, draft communications to the company and brokerage, and refer you to a stock transfer agent if required. Reconstructing the paper trail can be tedious, but staying organized and persistent is key. Let me know if you have any other questions!

4. I noticed some unclaimed dividends in my name in the annual report of a company I invested in years ago. How can I claim these unpaid dividends now?

Here are a few steps you can take to claim unpaid or unclaimed dividends:

  • Contact the company’s investor relations department to notify them you have discovered unclaimed dividends in your name. Provide your personal details such as full name, address, number of shares held etc. to verify your identity.
  • If the shares were held in a demat account, contact your depository participant (DP) and submit a request to claim the dividends. The DP will initiate the process with the company.
  • Check with the registrar and transfer agent of the company, as they usually maintain dividend records. Submit a request with your details to claim the outstanding dividends.
  • Look up the MCA portal or IEPF website to check if the unclaimed dividends were transferred to the Investor Education and Protection Fund. You can submit a claim to recover the amount.
  • If the shares were held in physical form, you may have to provide indemnity and an affidavit stating the dividends belong to you. The company may ask for additional documents for verification.
  • Unclaimed dividends can only be recovered within 7 years from the date of transfer to IEPF. So act quickly once you discover any unpaid dividends.
  • You may have to provide an indemnity bond and pay a processing fee to the company to process your unclaimed dividend request.

Or just call MUDS Management!!

Stay persistent while communicating with the company’s RTA and provide all necessary documentation to validate your request and claim the unclaimed dividends.

5. I changed my residence 5 years back and did not update the address for share certificates I hold in physical form. Can you help trace them and get the address updated?

Since you did not update your address for the physical share certificates when you changed residences 5 years ago, here are some steps we can take to trace them and get the address updated:

  • Contact the registrar and transfer agent (RTA) of the company and request an address change form. Submit this with proof of your old and new address.
  • If you don’t recall the RTA details, contact the company secretary or investor relations department for assistance. They can guide you on the process.
  • Place a request for a duplicate share certificate by providing a indemnity bond. This will help replace the old certificate with a new one with your updated address.
  • You can also get your securities dematerialized by opening a Demat account and submitting a Demat request for the physical certificates. This will credit the shares in your Demat account electronically.
  • For dematerialization, you may need to provide a copy of the share certificate, KYC documents and details of your Demat account to the Depository Participant. 
  • An announcement in a national newspaper for the missing certificates can also help establish ownership legally for obtaining duplicates.
  • Keep following up persistently with the RTA and company to get your address updated in their records. This may take some time but is important to prevent your shares from going unclaimed.

Let me know if you need any assistance with the paperwork or following up with the company and RTA. We can get this address change updated.

6. I need to provide a succession certificate and other documents for transmission of shares of my deceased parents. Can you guide me on the process?

  • Obtain the share certificates in original, death certificate, and any nominations made by the deceased shareholder.
  • Submit a transmission request to the company’s registrar and transfer agent (RTA) along with the succession certificate and other documents.
  • The RTA will verify the documents and may ask for a surety affidavit, indemnity bond, and NOC from other legal heirs.
  • Provide a copy of PAN card of all claimants and KYC documents as per company requirements.
  • Open a demat account in the name of the claimant to credit the transmitted shares. Submit demat account details.
  • Pay any applicable transmission fees and stamp duty charges. 
  • Once approved, the company will transmit shares and convert them to the demat form in favor of the claimant.
  • For joint holder shares, the surviving holder can submit a request along with the death certificate.

Contact MUDS Management!!

7. My shares were transferred to IEPF as dividends were unclaimed for a long. How can you guide me through the process of claiming them back?

Here is a step-by-step process for claiming back your shares transferred to the IEPF (Investor Education and Protection Fund) due to unclaimed dividends:

  • Check the IEPF website and company records to verify the shares were transferred to the IEPF. Make note of the date of transfer.
  • Download the relevant e-form from the IEPF website and fill it with your personal details, folio number, number of shares etc. 
  • Attach all supporting documents like identity proof, address proof, share certificates etc. as required in the e-form.
  • Get your form attested, notarized and submit along with any applicable fees. Follow up regularly on the status.
  • Once approved, a refund order will be issued in your favor within 10-15 days. For shares held in demat, they will be transferred directly to your demat account.
  • For physical shares, you need to send a share transfer request to the company’s registrar and transfer agent along with the refund order.
  • The shares/dividends can be claimed back within 7 years from the date of their transfer to the IEPF.
  • Maintain copies of all documents and follow-up diligently for processing of your claim. You may need to make a personal visit.

Let me know if you need any assistance in filling the e-forms or with documentation. Reclaiming your shares from the IEPF may take some time but is possible if all requirements are met.

8. Can you provide assistance if my shares claim is rejected by the company due to some procedural discrepancies?

Yes, I can certainly provide assistance if your shares claim is rejected due to procedural discrepancies. Here are some things we can do:

  • Review the rejection letter in detail and identify the exact reasons given for rejection. Common reasons could be missing documents, signature mismatches, etc.
  • Reach out to the company registrar and transfer agent (RTA) as well as the company secretary to understand the discrepancies and process to rectify them.
  • If documents were missing or incorrect, collate the required documents again and ensure they meet the company’s requirements. Get them duly attested if needed.
  • If there are issues with forms/paperwork, carefully fill them again to avoid any errors. Confirm procedures with RTA.
  • Draft professional correspondence highlighting how you have addressed the discrepancies and requesting reconsideration of your claim.
  • Be cooperative in providing any additional documents or clarification needed to support your claim and establish ownership.
  • Involve a legal professional if the issues persist and for any arbitration required with the company. 
Previous Post
Newer Post