The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, or FSSAI, is a body that oversees and regulates the food industry in India. This prevents infractions of food regulations and the sale of subpar items by ensuring that quality inspections of food products are conducted. Each person running a food business who is involved in the production, processing, sale, or distribution of food products is legally required to get an FSSAI registration or license.
Benefits of FSSAI Registration
- Improved customer base – In this era of digital transformation and instant connection, consumers are considerably more aware of the food they consume. They decide to eat wholesome, clean food that has not been tampered with or degraded in any way. Consumers now take the calibre of the food they eat seriously. The client of today is familiar with the FSSAI licence idea. Therefore, before purchasing any food goods, they check for the FSSAI mark. You are permitted to put an FSSAI emblem on your goods if you have registered with the organization. As a result, the customers will be sure to buy your stuff.
- Statutory advantage: Many company owners want to avoid acquiring a food licence because of how time-consuming, expensive, and tiresome the procedure is. However, companies must have the licence in order to operate, thus they ultimately can’t escape it. They should ask for an FSSAI accreditation to keep themselves out of legal danger. The process is also not overly costly or difficult. You may successfully operate your business while also receiving deep personal delight by adhering to FSSAI laws.
- Business image – Each business unit strives to have a superb market position that will yield long-term rewards. Getting the food license is one approach to establish this place. You have the benefit of a stronger market position if you hold a food license while your competitor does not. You should publicly display your license on your property to increase your reputation as a reputable eatery.
- Company image: Every business unit aspires to hold a dominant position in the market that will bring in long-term benefits. One strategy for opening this establishment is to obtain a food license. If you have a food license but your rival does not, you will profit from a stronger market position. To establish your restaurant as a trustworthy one, you should prominently display your license on your property.
What is FSSAI Registration?
As FSSAI Basic Food Business Operators, all small food enterprises operating in a certain region or state are registered. The state in where the business is located must accept this form of fundamental FSSAI certificate. The following criteria must be met in order to qualify for the basic FSSAI registration:
- With an annual turnover of less than 12 lakh, FBOs include wholesalers, dealers, distributors, food vendors, hawkers, bars, restaurants, food storage units, Dhabas, restaurants, and hotels.
- retailers whose business is limited to selling consumer goods.
- Small businesses make their own products.
- a restaurant.
- businesses that sell food, except those that provide catering for social or religious gatherings.
- the food-related cottage enterprises.
- Milk processing is done in milk units with a daily capacity of no more than 500 litres or a maximum yearly milk solids content of 2.5 tonnes.
- No more than two large cattle, ten small cattle, and fifty chickens may be slaughtered each day.
- manufacture or refinement of components for vegetable oil, such as oil expeller devices, in solvents and refineries. 100 kg/liter per day (excluding milk and meat).
What are the Features of FSSAI registration?
The following are some of the important characteristics of FSSAI registration verification:
Depending on the type of company and the length of the license’s validity, the FSSAI licensing price will change.
- Regulations are structured to establish the standards and requirements for food products and to show how to use an appropriate framework to address different standards.
- Implementing the standards and procedures recommended by certifying organizations for the accreditation of food safety management systems for food firms.
- creation of procedures and criteria for identifying and notifying labs.
- providing technical guidance and help to the federal and state governments in the creation of laws and regulations that have an immediate or long-term influence on food safety and nutrition. Gather and compile information on food consumption, biological risk incidence and prevalence, food components, contaminant residues, and food product ingredients, as well as information on emerging problems and the creation of a quick warning system.
- Create training programmes for those considering or participating in the food sector.
- Development of global food, hygienic, and phytosanitary standards is the responsibility of.
- to increase public understanding of food standards and safety among all citizens.
What are the Types of Food Licenses issued in India?
Public health promotion is FSSAI’s main goal, as is food licensing. It aids in managing and preventing any potential food-related problems. The three categories of food licenses granted by FSSAI are available for application by food business owners (FBOs), depending on the type of food company and its size.
Food firms like large-scale producers, importers, etc. often qualify for this license under the FSSAI’s Central License programme. In this instance, the license is issued in accordance with the head office information on file with the FSSAI. To qualify for this license, the company must operate in more than one state. This license is valid for one to five years.
Food enterprises like as retailers, repackers, merchants, importers, wholesalers, etc. with an annual turnover of more than Rs 12 lakhs are eligible for this license, which is issued by the FSSAI. The State Government issues a license to the enterprise, which must operate in no more than one state. This license is valid for one to five years.
Basic Registration by FSSAI – Smaller food enterprises with a revenue of less than Rs. 12 lakhs are granted FSSAI Registration in the state by the state government using Form A. This license’s duration varies from one to five years.
What are the Steps involved in FSSAI Registration Process through MUDS?
- Step 1: We gather and double-check the supporting documentation, such as the Form B, partner list, processing unit plan, food category list, NOC, etc.
- Step 2: On your behalf, we submit the FSSAI application.
- Step 3: You obtain the FSSAI License, which has legal advantages, positive reputation, and increases consumer awareness.
What are the Documents required for FSSAI License Registration?
You must prepare for or collect specific documents in order to complete the FSSAI registration process. These FSSAI licensing paperwork serve as evidence that a legal food company has been established.
FSSAI Registration Process
- The FSSAI registration form may also be linked to an Affidavit of Proprietorship if the business is located at another location.
- Each culinary and food-related business has a different selling point. Therefore, be sure to provide the food category list as an attachment with the other supporting documents.
- A list of the many kinds of heavy cookware, if any, should also be included. especially if the manufacturing or production of food is done on a massive scale.
- All personnel and stakeholders must submit health certificates in order to assure cleanliness and quality standards.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration?
The following documents are needed for the FSSAI registration process:
- A completed form that has been certified and signed by the restaurant’s owner or the owner will be required from you.
- You as the owner must provide identification documentation, such as an Aadhaar card, a driver’s license, a voter ID card, etc.
- Government-issued address documentation of a restaurant or business’s location.
- The candidate must include both a phone number and a working email address. If the firm is new or has a phone number and email address, they must include both.
- It is necessary to obtain and append a food safety management plan form. If not, the FBO can get one by calling the nearest notary public or by printing the online paperwork.
- Along with the other documents, the evidence of possession of that company location should be included. For the beginning, the evidence of the business location may be presented by displaying a sales document, a lease agreement, power bills, and other documents of a similar kind.
- The document that must be submitted is either a NOC issued by the regional corporation or another local body, or the national occupational classification.
- A kitchen floor plan might be displayed if the kitchen is luxurious and recently upgraded. It doesn’t apply to little kitchens and tiny businesses. The partnership deed should be shown if there are many business partners operating the food stand or company.
It’s possible that not all of the documentation for the various food enterprises will be easily accessible. Some of the aforementioned papers are not required for smaller companies. However, it’s imperative that you supply all the documentation you are able to for the FSSAI certificate registration. To get the certificate, the applicant can register online with the FSSAI. With the assistance of a legal professional, completing the FSSAI online registration process is quite simple.
Following the completion of the FSSAI food license registration procedure, the verification process will begin. If you meet all the conditions, the authority will issue the FSSAI certificate.
Online registration through the FSSAI is regarded as being extremely effective and time-saving. After registering, one may also perform the FSSAI license check online. The FBO will then be able to understand the FSSAI license renewal procedures as well as the license validity check.
Required paperwork for registration applications: – Application in Annex-1 FSSAI registration fee of Rs. 100 per year
FSSAI Registration Documents
- Evidence of address (Government documents, such as the Voter ID card)
- Applicants’ Picture
- The registration card has to be visible from a prominent area of the company.
What are the Consequences and Penalties for Non-Compliance?
FSSAI levies two primary categories of sanctions on the food industry.
FSSAI License Renewal Penalty for Postponing
The FSSAI license renewal procedure will not be complete until the application documentation is finished, at which point a penalty of Rs. 100 will be assessed daily. For the benefit of the FBOs, an online FSSAI application is also accessible.
What is the Delayed FSSAI Registration Penalty?
If the renewal of the present license is still pending after the predetermined time period, the food authority will once more request licensing costs. Between the expiration date and the renewal date, a gap is taken into account. To continue operating their business under FSSAI registration, the business owners will be required to submit an application for a new license. After 30 days after the license’s expiration date, the registration is still regarded as being valid pending FSSAI renewal confirmation. The FSSAI webpage also makes an FSSAI online application for renewal available.
The Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006’s rules and regulations must be followed by everyone who has registered with the FSSAI. A checklist is often used by the food safety officer to inspect the food company operator’s facility and determine the degree of compliance with the rules. The food safety officer describes it as follows based on the degree of compliance:
- Compliance (C)
- Non-compliance (NC)
- Partial compliance (PC)
- Not applicable
The Food Safety Officer may issue a notice of improvement based on the information above if Section 32 of the FSS Act, 2006 calls for it. The license may be revoked by the officer after the licensee has already been given the opportunity to demonstrate reasons if the company owner disregards the notice for improvement. Any owner of a food company who has been directly touched by this notice of improvement may appeal to the state’s food safety commissioner. The judgment may even be challenged by filing an appeal with the High Court of Justice or Food Safety Appeals Tribunal.
The FSSAI regulators keep a close eye on both the registration and renewal processes. Therefore, FBOs who commit any violations of the FSSAI registration process will be promptly informed and punished by the authorities.
What is the History of FSSAI and recent updates?
According to the guidelines of the Food Safety and Standards 2006, the Food Corporation of India (FSSAI) was founded in August 2011 and serves as the country’s regulatory body for food safety and standards. FSSAI is regarded as an autonomous body despite being founded by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
The Indian Food Safety and Standards Authority is a regulatory agency that issues licenses to all food businesses in each state in India. As a result, the FSSAI regulatory authority of a given state issues an FSSAI license or a basic registration to every food industry operator inside that state. Operators of food businesses might include food producers, traders, owners, etc. The required 14-digit enrollment or licensing number must be obtained and printed on the food packaging.
How Muds Management helps you in FSSAI Registration Process?
FSSAI registration consultant- The largest professional network of attorneys, chartered accountants, and corporate secretaries in India is MUDS, and its members have decades of combined expertise. Every month, we carry out legal work for more than 1000 businesses and LLPs by utilizing our technological skills and the knowledge of our legal specialists.
9.7 Customer Score
We handle all the documentation so that your interactions with the government run as smoothly as possible. In order for you to set reasonable expectations, we will also provide you with complete clarification on the procedure.
You may get the best legal services with only a phone call thanks to a staff of over 300 knowledgeable business consultants and attorneys.
Access To Experts
We connect you with reputable experts and work together with them to meet all of your legal requirements. Additionally, you may always keep tabs on the development on our web platform.
We guarantee a smooth interaction with the government by taking care of all the paperwork. To help people have reasonable expectations, we give clarity on the incorporation procedure.
Experience the comfort and ease by boarding!
It was confirmed in February 2020 that the FSSAI has established certain standards for the sizable packaged sweets business in the nation. It is a strategy that would result in the producers and suppliers of these packaged goods using less sugar, fat, and salt and making sure that the right raw ingredients are used in their products.
To address the difficulties of maintaining the odds of contracting SARS-COV-2 while simultaneously ensuring an unaltered food supply, the FSSAI created an online training programme in May 2020. Coronavirus (Covid-19) illness is a recognised result of it. This is done to protect the chain’s various stakeholders, including its employees, customers, and many others. Through its several accredited training partners, online training is made available in the context of the FSSAI’s Flagship Operation, the Food Safety Training and Certification Program (FoSTaC).